Newburyport was one of the first ten communities in Massachusetts to establish a public library after the passage in 1851 of a general law permitting towns throughout the Commonwealth to establish and maintain public libraries through municipal taxation. The Newburyport Public Library was founded in 1854, and opened to the public in 1855. The Library currently offers a full range of services to meet the informational, educational, cultural, and recreational needs of the greater Newburyport community within a renovated and expanded historic 18th century Federalist building, the Tracy Mansion. The Newburyport Public Library is a full member of the Merrimack Valley Library Consortium, a network of 36 area Massachusetts libraries. Through resource sharing, Newburyport library cardholders have access to over 3 million items owned by member MVLC libraries.
Thanks to a generous grant from the NAID Foundation the Newburyport Public Library has completed the first phase of digitizing the microfilm of the Library’s local historical newspapers. Digitized issues of the Newburyport Daily Herald and other local papers dated from 1799 to 1901 are now available online. For more information about the Newburyport Public Library visit the Library’s website at www.newburyportpl.org